Saturday, December 09, 2006

“It’s surprising how much of memory is built
around things unnoticed at the time”

Barbara Kingsolver

How do you measure a clan’s merit?

This clan has not produced celebrities, politicians, international or local known figure, inventor, business tycoon, etc. As others are looking at these standards, I looked back where I belong and came from. I was amazed on what I discovered. I realized that my ancesty and clan are infamous. Yet very loving, gracious and are so rich in good qualities and memories. This for me is what makes it unique and worth remembering.

Let not our history be forgotten. Let me share some of our rich memories and culture.

God bless the Atendidos!

Lineage

I do not exactly know how we started so I asked Nanay Maring and some relatives whom I think will remember some of Atendido’s historical past.

*Excerpt from Francis comment/reply...

Quote:

"... I went to the deathmarch shrine in Tarlac called the Capas National Shrine around Camp O'Donnel. If you look at the names surrounding the obelisk, you will see a Lt. Atendido there. I'm not sure if he has the same lineage as ours but it might be worth investigating. It would certainly make us proud to have a hero recognized among the clan.

Unquote-

*According to Nanay Maring and Kuya Raul, the Lt. Atendido mentioned may have been "Tata Uro" or Dr. Mauro Atendido (Doctor for the military then).



Tatang (Lauriano): Birth date - Nov. 18, 1898 / Died - still to confirm (died of old age with complication on his spinal column).

Ima (Herminia) : Birth date – June 5, 1902 / Died - May 27, 1985 (died of high blood pressure with mild diabetes)

As to my researched, Tatang was already a widower when he married Ima. Tatang was from from San Leonardo. Ima was from Bario San Nicolas, Gapan. Both of which were from Nueva Ecija, Philippines.

Ima has 2 sisters: Imang Damasa (Asa - died early of cancer) and Imang Naty (died of diabetes). They have sisterly like cousins: Imang Basilia (closest) and Nanang Amparo.



Ima and Tatang had settled on these places:

1.Castillano” (before World War II);

2. Bical-bical, Bario of Gen. Tiño, Nueva Ecija (Retreated there when World War II erupted);

3. San Leonardo, Nueva Ecija (after the war until the 1970s);

4. And finally at an Apartment at Daguma Street, Araneta, Quezon City (they both died on that place).

I still have to research the descendants of Imang Basilia and Nanang Amparo.

Imang Naty has an adopted daughter whom we occasionally met – Ate Edith. The last time I heard of her was that she lives with her husband and daughters somewhere in Caloocan City. The remains of Tatang and Ima, including Imang Naty, Aunty Besi and Aunty Cely were all buried in Loyola Memorial Garden in Marikina City.

One of our distant relative also mentioned that Atendido has a Spanish blood. I am still confirming if from a “Guardia Civil.”


Atendido’s kind of beauty

I was in Singapore last 2005 when I had a chance to talk to Ate Susan’s mother (before she died). I was surprised how she described Ima (our grand mother), as if it was just yesterday. She told me that Ima was known to be very beautiful on their younger days, and she was known on nearby provinces within Nueva Ecija for her being attractive and mestisa complexion. She even told me that the beauty of her daughters were just a reflection of Ima.

As mentioned by many, Auntie Tindeng was the most beautiful among the siblings. And up to this date, the grand children of Ima has traces of her beauty (but already mixed to blood line of their non-Atendido mother or father). Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Ate Mildred and Ate Beth are the most beautiful among the grand children then. "Any objection?" Of course each has their own beautiful traits and I am not that familiar with our other cousins. Especially those that grew in the US. Our male cousins are “mestizos” as well. But what matters the most is how we are known. Atendidos are better known as gracious and "mapagmahal sa magulang."


Tatang

I found out that it is not a coincidence that many among Atendido males are Engineers and creative. I once heard from a distant relative that Tatang (our grand father), was the most inventive, creative and resourceful person he had met. He was the original all around/multi-skilled person among us. Ingenuity, technical skills and arts are therefore in the blood of Atendidos.

Tatang was very caring both to his children and grand children. He was also a disciplinarian. But also seem to fear Ima. :-)

Among the sons and daughters, I think Tito Igy has obviously inherited some of known qualities of Tatang: loving, gracious giver of “aginaldos” during Christmas gathering, helping hand to needy siblings, provider during occasions and funeral, firm, ingenuity on technical matters, etc. He may not be the religious type but his compassion is always there. I know he have been misinterpreted at times due to this strong personality and harsh words. But it is not a secret how he cared so much for his parents and siblings. Tito Igy’s contribution to Atendido’s were immeasurable, even up to this day. Christmas will never be the same without Tito Igy’s initiative to gather us on his house every year. I think he has shown the most of the support for Tatang and Ima during their aging years. Tito Nemy was his partner, and their other siblings are all supportive as to whoever is in need. I still have lots of things to say but the space is limited.

Precious Moments

Tito Igy - Auntie Nitz wedding with Tatang and Ima and the sponsors
(contributed by Ingrid)

The good old days with Tatang, Ima and some of the grand children

(contributed by Rudy Jr.)

The happy days with some friends and relatives

(contributed by Rudy Jr.)

Auntie Tindeng with her child

Quote (from Ate Myla's message):

The picture with "Mom holding her child". That's actually our brother Glenn. See the prominent forehead? Very cute long hair. He was born natural, 9 lbs. Ouch!

Unquote -

Tito Igy's whole family

From left: Mildred, Nandy, Ingrid, Auntie Nitz, Raymond, Richard, Tito Igy

Auntie Cely with relatives

From left: distant relative Auntie Soseng, Auntie Naty, Auntie Besi (Enta) and Auntie Cely

From left: Igrid, Mildred

The sisters. from top left: Auntie Cely, Auntie Tinding and Auntie Naty

From lower left: Auntie Besi, Nanay Maring

(contributed by Rudy Jr.)

Auntie Tindeng's Kids (then)

Auntie Besi's kids (then) with Auntie Cely and distant cousin

From left: Jun-jun, Mel, Tito Ed (above Mel), Auntie Tindeng, Arlene, Ellen May (already in Chicago), Bernard, Angel, Liza (I think she's in Saipan), Auntie Naty (in US) and Malou.

Nanay Maring and Tatay Greg

Auntie Besi and Tito Ed

Kuya Gil (this Photo was taken in Jeddah, but Kuya Gil with family is now in Singapore with Kuya Senen)

From Top left: Richard, Ingrid
From left: Francis, Melchor, Beth (in Canada), Liezl (in US), Red, Paul (in Japan with his wife)

*Excerpt from Liezl's comment/reply...

Quote:

...Grabe kadiri my pic w/ richard and ingrid...super baduy our hairsstyles that time pa. Dont you have any other pic to replace that? Sana you can get our baby pics from mom there in manila...

Unquote -

**Ate Beth/Liezl, Auntie Aida told me that your old family photo collections were no longer available due to past floods.

Known qualities

Nanay Maring (Aunty Maring to my cousins) – she was described as the creative type, the "modista" among the sibling, acted as 2nd mother to her siblings, Artist

Tito Igy – the Engineer and innovativator, the wealthiest yet generous, strong personality with soft heart (“iyakin”); firm when it comes to business, etc.

Tito Nemy – heartrob (pinaka gwapo daw ng pamilya), friendly, athletic, businessman, and now – a Pastor/man of God, etc.

Aunty Tindeng – crush ng bayan, prettiest then among her sisters, queen of Sta. Cruzan and Fiestas

Aunty Besi (deceased) - Kalog, loves to giggle, cooks with Aunty Cely, etc.

Aunty Cely (deceased) - Cook during occasions, took cared of her pamangkins and acted as their 2nd mother, etc

Aunty Naty – Inteligent, scholar, quiet type yet pretty.


More Photo Exhibit

Maria (Maring) & Gregorio Salvatierra

Ignacio (Igy) and Anita (Nitz) Atendido

Nemesio (Nemy) and Zenaida (Aida) Atendido

Matilde (Tinding) and Rudolfo (Rod) Modina

Quote (from Ate Myla's message):

.... That's Dad getting Mom out of the car. According to Mom, that was after the wedding on their way to the reception.

Unquote -

Vicenta (Besi) and Ed Bagay

Marcela (Cely) and Boy Gacusan

Natalia (Naty) - 4th from left

*we don't have any photo of Aunty Naty's except this and the other group photos at precious moments

Food favorites

-Ima's Pinatisan, minatamis na kundol, halaya ube and Labong pinaasiman ng santol, etc.
-Tatang's Calamay
-Nanay Maring's Estupado, Arroz Valenciana, etc.
-Aunty Nitz's Lasagña, etc.
-Aunty Aida's Christmas banana cake, etc.
-Aunty Cely's Palabok, Igado, etc.
-Others from Auntie Besi

Other clan's exotic dish are:
-Burong isda plus grilled/fried fish and boiled vegetables
-Adobong palakang bukid (rice field frog -"
Tuyo" na sinigang sa bayabas

Dessert:

-Leche Plan and other deserts

** I still have to ask the specialty of Aunty Tindeng






Link: http://pinoyfoodfavorites.blogspot.com/

Health related

May be it is also important for us to be familiar with our clan's medical history.

- Diabetes (blood sugar problem) - large percentage.
- Hypertension - minimal
- Obesity - no comment :-)
- Baldness - if you have this problem, it seem did not come from Atendido's blood line :-)
- Infertility - no history in particular. But in the case of Auntie Cely and Imang Naty, diabetes caused complications.
- Pimples and Acne - Tito Igy and Nanay Maring has traces on their face. To Salvatierra's, nevermind. Next ...
- Skin Allergies (and alergic to shrimps and crabs) - Minimal
- Asthma - Tito Igy has, Kuya Ruben previously had, Lorenzo has. I still have to ask our other cousins
- Others (Please share what you know).


Please send me your family pictures in jpeg format (per family). It will be- uploaded to link blog as mentioned below.

Please click to link below for the recent various family pictures:

Link: http://pamilyaAtendido.blogspot.com/

Before I forget, adopted child is not new to Atendidos and Mendoza. Imang Naty has Edith, Aunty Cely has Michael, Tito Nemy has Sarah, and Tito Igy has Monique

*still more historical info and photos to be uploaded. I welcome photo contributions and comment or correction to the entire blog.

*Some cousins have alredy replied, contributed and promised to send pictures. Also thank you to Liezl for the corrections.


15 comments:

demeter said...

You gave a very unique perspective of Tito Igy.Mom always mentioned the dark side but I think your views even that out (sort of). Its a good thing what you started here. As I said, medyo malaking undertaking ito but you seem to be doing just fine. Keep it up. As I said, we should digitize most of these old pics for posterity so pls come by my office in UP Diliman sometime and we can do just that.

demeter said...

btw, I went to the deathmarch shrine in Tarlac called the Capas National Shrine around Camp O'Donnel. If you look at the names surrounding the obelisk, you will see a Lt. Atendido there. I'm not sure if he has the same lineage as ours but it might be worth investigating. It would certainly make us proud to have a hero recognized among the clan.

demeter said...

Denis, I tried sending you an email to dennissalvatierra@yahoo.com but it had errors. Please give me a valid email address I can use

Denis said...

Later na lang natin i-digitized... aayusin ko pa.

Denis said...

Kiko,

Thanks.

My e-mail address is valid for I also use this in global commodity trading. I just received mails from as far as Moscow, etc. Paki double check ang spelling (dapat 2 "s", 2 "r"... denissalvatierra@yahoo.com

Pasensya ka na. Honesly, first time ko makatanggap ng comment through blog so medyo hindi ko alam how to reply.

Drop by ako pero later na kasi dami pinapaasikaso si Nanay and nakamonitor ako sa mga trades ko, starter pa lang kasi ako sa commodity trading.

Kindly view again the blog for I replaced the first photo. I now inserted the vintage photo of Ate Beth and Ate Ingrid. OK kaya sa kanila? Try ko sila e-mail at this very moment for them to view.

Denis said...

Kiko,

How will I erase the current post. Gusto ko kasi yung edited na lang ang mag apprear?

demeter said...

Napadala ko na. Sobra pala yung "n" . You need to change your time zone kasi the UTC ka siguro. Look at the time stamps nung posts. Also, don't erase your post, edit your post and press "PUBLISH", not "SAVE AS DRAFT". After you publish, view the post pero after lumabas, press F5 para mag refresh yung screen. The posts are updated when you press "PUBLISH" pero hindi mo lang makita sa browser mo kasi naka cashe.

Denis said...

Kiko,

How will lock the photos (copy command)?, for protectection against unauthorized copying

demeter said...

Dennis, protecting images or blogs is a long and probably futile topic. Its not one to be discussed in this comments space in any case. You can read about some of it here http://www.cybermarker.com/q&a/copyright/copy-protect.htm

or just research on "creative commons" from the blogger.com help.

In any case lifting images from any copyrighted material is easy enough. What you can do is prevent the copied images from being used in publications.

demeter said...

sorry, something is wrong with blogger. I only posted the last entry once. Di ko alam kung bakit nag multiply. The controls were sluggish - probably a bug sa blogger.com -- anyway, please erase the comments nalang. Thanks

demeter said...

You should now make a family tree. Maganda kung clickable ang names to get more info and images. It gets too cluttered if you try to put everything in one page.

Anonymous said...

Greetings Denis,

Finally, I found the single information about my heritage (the other infos are all about marriages for some reason, do we really love marrying people that much? haha) online that is. I am also an Atendido living here in the United States.

There is not much information about our family line is there? like legit papers and such. Though I do not recognize a lot of people in your blog, well ok to be honest, I did not recognize any of them, my Dad did though.

He recognized Ignacio and Anita Atendido, I just don't know how he is related to them (forgot to ask). And you mentioned the cemetery in Marikina, my Grandfather is buried there.

I really do hope that you find where our line started though, where this family actually started from waaaaaaaayyyy back in the Spanish era (if it really did started there). Also I would like to make a comment on this:


"This clan has not produced celebrities, politicians, international or local known figure, inventor, business tycoon, etc"


-YET! we don't have those yet, some people in our family (including, yours truly) have some pretty big dreams and will stop at nothing to achieve them I think all of us in our generation should too.

You know I have a vision for our family name as being one of the most known, respected, exclusive and elite family in the Philippines or maybe even the US (the world? nah a bit too much there, but still dreaming is free) Maybe not the money-hungry corporate type (ahem! like the Zobel de Ayala family *cough*) But the intellectual-elite type.

You know the type that I am talking about, with legit documents of our lineage, with a coat-of-arms, family Seal, recognition and stuff like that. I already created a coat-of-arms, but I am still working on it more during my free time. Wouldnt it be cool that way? But the first step would be is to find where we really came from so we can start on making a detailed family tree that would be awesome. I know a lot of people don't think about those things and don't even care, but meh *shrug*.

So I hope you write back, I shall check the Blog again for updates (if any, and if you have the time) and I hope our Family remains strong. We have the genes to achieve great things, we just need the proper motivation.

Pro Deus,
An anonymous Family member rocking NJ and maybe Washington D.C. soon

Anonymous said...

Hi! nice blogspot for the Atendidos. I am also an Atendido, but my ancestry originated from Quezon of farming background. My research suggest the surname itself is of Portuguese origin and not Spanish.
Because the Spaniards gave us Spanish surname doesn't mean we have a tiny bit of European gene to be proud of and the theory goes like this it is a very unique surname, when the Spaniards colonize the Philippines most of its crew were Portuguese origin so there was a blend of Portuguese influence when naming the indios. From history itself , Magellan discovered the Philippines and he was Portuguese commissioned by the Spaniards.

Denis said...

Hope I get to know you and your clan more as I am very much interested for more info, not just about the clan but the undistorted history of Filipinos before the Spaniards.

I am also interested with farming as I am now developing a bizplan proposal related to moringa/"malunggay" and other agriculture products. I just move to Tagaytay (I used to reside in Quezon City with my family). You can e-mail me directly at denissalvatierra@yahoo.com

Denis said...

I can also be followed at http://fyi09.wordpress.com